Friday, October 09, 2009

So its 91 degrees here.

Yesterday started at 4am. That part sucked but then I was pleased by a well-timed text message from Jeremy. Chris and Amber rode with me to the airport and Amber drove my car home. I had printed off my boarding pass online the night before and managed to cram all of my stuff into a carry-on so all I really had to do was go through security and find my gate. It was the first time I had ever flown alone. I liked it.

The woman sitting next to me on the plane clearly didn't understand all the don't-talk-to-me messages I was sending out such as the headphones and the feigned sleeping. Eventually though, when I stopped responding to her, she stopped making observations in my general direction. All I'm saying is, I only have to be nice to people in the morning when I love them or I'm getting paid to do it. Neither of these situations applied to this woman.

The next few hours were filled with the hurry up and wait of travel. And I was alone. It was okay because I had several books and my ipod, but I still generally prefer to have people I love around me. So I kept wishing someone was with me.

When I got to Orlando, Ashley's mom, Denise, was waiting for me. She bought me lunch at the airport Chili's and we wandered around the shops there. She was convinced that the server was trying to flirt with me but I just don't notice guys like that, so I didn't see it. He seemed like a person people would call attractive but he didn't smile very much. Thats not attractive at all.

Most of the afternoon was spent wasting time running errands while we waited for Ashley to get home from work. I was so tired that I couldn't even pretend to be excited about anything. Then I had a mountain dew. Things changed after that! They made cajun fries and hamburgers for dinner which were both much tastier than I imagined they would be.

Ashley and I went for a bike ride after dinner and then took her dog for a walk. She laughed at me as I reacted to foreign things like Spanish moss, palm trees, and all kinds of other plants. We ended up going to bed early because I was tired and she had to go to work this morning.

I just love the feeling of the sun on my skin and the vastness of a blue sky with puffy white clouds. I revel in the freedom of lighter clothes and getting to be active outside. It made me miss the summer biking and hiking days with my Ohio friends.

When she left for work I made myself breakfast and then went on a walk with her mom. After that I went on a bike ride by myself. After a shower, I went to a town called Sanford with Denise to wander through the antique stores there. Turns out there is a motorcycle festival thing going on down there. We went through all the tents of motorcycle-people jewelry and crafts and such. None of it appealed to me except for these necklaces made from guitar picks. Those were pretty. Oh, and one of the guys working in a tent said he had a desirable urge to count my freckles. And he kind of leaned forward when he said it and his hand came towards me before he stopped. That was creepy.

After wandering around a bit we stopped and at a little German cafe. I didn't order anything very German. I got chicken salad and fruit. It was so good. Pineapple was involved. Yum. Then we went into a million different antique stores. Now we are back home until Ashley gets here.

I have to tell you that not texting people is harder than I thought it would be. I don't actually even text very much when I'm at home, but I'm usually more occupied by things like work and the gym and cooking and cleaning and reading. But I've had more idle time in the last two days and it makes me want to talk to my friends. Texting is the fastest, most convenient way to do that and I keep reaching for my purse and staying my hand.

I just miss you. I wish I could take you everywhere with me. But I suppose then I wouldn't have any stories to tell you. I wouldn't appreciate it so much when I did see you.

Its so nice here. I miss the sun and I missed Ashley. But I also miss things about home. And I don't like leaving the people I love. I need to think about this in regards to joining the air force. I won't just be leaving for the weekend then. And I can't take you with me. Which one do I want more? Because nothing is permanent. Which one do I get to keep the longest amount of time?

No comments: