Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I couldn't wait to get to this part.

Remember when I loved you? Oh, it had a violent end, but it was glorious while it lasted.
Remember when you  loved me? You can say it never happened but I still remember the way you held me.

We were beautiful, you and I. We could have been the thing other people always try to be. Such a spark. Such vitality and vivid colors and light. Oh, our love it would have grown roots. And we. We could have been "us". But we never were.

Remember when I loved you? I know it scared you to death. So unready for my love. I understand now. But do you remember? Oh the things I would have told you. The things we would have done. The sheer weight of potential shimmering in the air.

Remember when you loved me? You kept it reined in. Held tight to your chest. You didn't want me to know. But I always saw it there in your eyes. Your accidental words and stray glances. How much might it have cost to just tell me? Don't you remember? Remember how you loved me? You were so selfish, you wouldn't give me the words.

We were standing at the edge of something great. You wouldn't come along with me. You never saw it. The things I saw. The things I see now. We see two different things when we look at the world. Our imaginary futures never quite lined up. We could have been everything I ever wanted. But not what you wanted. Not at all. You tried to tell me that.

But

Remember when I loved you? Remember when you loved me? It's over now. But it was glorious, wasn't it?

Or maybe it was ordinary. We always did see two different worlds.

No comments: