Sunday, May 02, 2010

The distance between us is how far?

I wonder what it is like to be other people. I wonder what goes on in your heads. How do your thoughts organize themselves? What do you think about when you're alone? How different are we? How similar? I wonder if there are things we have in common that we don't even know how to verbalize.

Sometimes I feel like we have no connections to one another. Like all of our understanding is imagined and that every other human being is an unknowable alien. Forever changing. Forever an enigma. The people we see walking around are figments of our imagination. They don't even know who they are. They change from day to day. How can we know each other when we don't even know ourselves?

But other times I feel connected in a way I cannot describe. We are all just cells of one being. We breathe together. Somehow, beneath all the artifice, we are one. And the details don't matter because we are made of the same stuff and our differences only help us fit together better.

Sometimes, I wonder if anyone else wonders about this.

No comments: