Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Just an observation:

So it was a little over a year ago that I started seriously considering gastric bypass surgery. I remember learning about the diet and exercise necessary after the surgery. I also remember learning about the vitamins. I told myself then that I would most definitely follow the vitamin schedule, but I had seen that the surgery was successful even without diet and exercise, so that stuff wasn't important to me. Then insurance stuff got held up and I had to wait.

During the waiting, I found the YouTube community of ladies doing everything "the right way". They counted calories and watched sugar and fat intake. They exercised nearly everyday with cardio and strength training. They drank protein shakes. I decided that I could definitely handle the protein shakes and watching sugar and fat intake, but there was no way in hell I was counting calories or doing exercise. I would exercise when I weighed less, when it wouldn't suck so much. Then the will stuff got held up and I had to wait till may.

During the waiting, I discovered that exercising before surgery would make my heart healthier and surgery safer. They also said I should lose ten percent of my body weight (32lbs) to shrink my liver or something. Also, if I did strength training my muscles would recover better during the rapid weight loss and not look so bad. I decided I could do cardio but there was still no way I was going to count calories, lose 32lbs, or do strength training, Then my surgery got cancelled altogether.

I gave up on life for quite a while.

Then, I decided that I couldn't stand being miserable anymore. So, I started doing all kinds of cardio, and I lost some weight. I started counting my calories and I lost more weight. I even started doing strength training and I could measure inches lost. Now, I've lost 32lbs, ten percent of my body weight. It took me a whole year, but I'm finally doing everything I should have been committed to before. Except now, theres no surgery looming on the horizon.

Huh.

No comments: